Front End Developer – Many companies now need a front end developer that will not only silo themselves on the Front-End but need to have an appreciation for the complexities of the Back-End and also create the best user experience for their customers.
What it means to be a Front End Developer
The major challenge front end developers face is that the technologies and techniques used to create the front end of a web app or website change constantly and so the developer needs to constantly be aware of how the field is developing.
4 steps approach to become a Front end developer in 2020
#1 – Understanding Basic Design Fundamentals as a Front end developer
This is not specific to only UI design or designing websites & apps as a front-end developer etc. But it also means the understanding of guidelines, principles that you must follow in general design that include logo, identity, branding, posters, etc.
What are Design Fundamentals:
It’s very important to understand these steps “DESIGN FUNDAMENTALS” before going to the next approach.
- Visual Hierarchy: Creating visual separation between different areas of your designs is very important.
- Complexity vs. Simplicity: Unnecessary elements can make your design confusing. Elements like adding shadows, bold styles, underline, outline are ok, but becomes complex when too much. You will try to pass a message to viewers and not just displaying your design skills to them.
- Consistency: You must be accurate in your design, great design is just enough and never too much. Using the same type, pattern or texture, fonts, colors, shapes, scales. Understand how details of your design accord with one another and then finalize your project.
- Color & Contrast: Choosing the right color is a very important step. Spend time on this too & combining these colors can create the right or wrong impression.
- White Space: In your design, the part that is left blank, whether it’s white or some other color, together with other elements creates the overall design. Therefore, negative space can be one of the most commonly underutilized & misunderstood aspects of designing. So learn to use this design strategy properly. (Learn more on spacing in designing as you improve your graphic skills).
#2 – Learn to apply Design Fundamentals to designing User Interfaces for Webpage or Apps as a Front end developer
This is where we start using software to apply what you’ve learned in step 1, to make a really professional end result. (Learn to prototype with these fundamentals) some of this software to use for your user-interface includes:
#3 – HTML & CSS & Sass
Learn these languages from the basics, understanding a code editor, since these are the languages for creating webpages, therefore you’ll need to understand how to write these languages using good technologies, or code editor like Visual Studio Code, sublime text, etc.
Learn more about HTML
Some frameworks to learn includes:
- React (Facebook)
- Angular (Google)